Who We Are
AAUW believes that together we can transform society for the better. Our vision is simple—we bring people together united behind the common goal of breaking through educational and economic barriers for women and girls. By joining our nearly 100,000 members, 1,000 branches, and more than 500 college and university partner members, you become part of AAUW’s powerful voice.
Since its first meeting in 1881, AAUW has been a catalyst for change. When more than a century ago a Harvard physician claimed that higher education jeopardized women’s health, AAUW conducted research that proved he was wrong. When the number of female college students grew, AAUW funded fellowships to support them. When girls and boys were treated differently in school, AAUW research put gender bias on the national agenda. When women receive less pay than their male colleagues for the same job, AAUW continues researching, educating, and advocating for equity.
What We Do
- Research—We analyze gender equity issues in education and the workplace.
- Campus Leadership—We help shape the lives of the next generation of women leaders.
- Stem Education—We are leveling the playing field for girls and women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Public Policy—We advocate for policies that advance equity for women and girls.
- Legal Advocacy—We challenge sex discrimination in higher education and the workplace.
- Educational Funding—We provide educational and lifelong learning opportunities for women.
- Global Connections—We respond to the global development needs of women, helping them contribute to the economic and social development of their countries.
- Member Leadership—We provide leadership development opportunities to AAUW members.
Join the AAUW Community Today
AAUW is a community that breaks through educational and economic barriers so that all women have a fair chance. Your membership makes AAUW’s powerful voice even stronger on critical issues affecting women and girls.
- National Membership is open to anyone holding an associate or equivalent (e.g., RN), baccalaureate, or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Student Affiliate Membership is open to anyone who does not already hold an undergraduate degree and is enrolled in a two- or four-year regionally accredited educational institution.
- College/University Partner Membership is open to regionally accredited educational institutions, including two-year or community colleges.
- Honorary Life Members are those who have been members for 50 years or more. All dues are waived for Life Members.
- Life Members paid a Lifetime Membership fee for National Membership in AAUW. State and local dues still apply.
- State and Local Membership is open to anyone eligible for national or student affiliate membership who wishes to join us here in Montana.